Friday, April 10, 2009

Hey, it's Good Friday!

When I was a kid, a lot of the stores would close between 12 and 3 PM on Good Friday (if you lived in a proper WASPy neighborhood). I think the idea was, you were supposed to go to church and contemplate the time Jesus hung on the cross. My dad owned a hardware store and since everyone there was a heathen, my dad and all the store employees would walk over to the local bar which conveniently did not close. The result of the three hours spent in the bar was, of course, everyone returned to work at 3:00 totally shitfaced. I remember one guy who worked there could hardly stand up, let alone wait on the customers who were waiting outside for the doors to reopen. Ahh, childhood memories. Nothing like religious abstinence.

1 comment:

  1. I remember on Good Friday, being at church. Between 12 and 3, you were suppose to pray.

    I would have much rathered drank beer at the bar, but ya know, a 10 year old in a catholic school uniform would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

    peace
    #2

    ReplyDelete